Saturday, July 21, 2012

Stockton Lake, Dade County, Missouri July 18th, 2012: Hot Temps and Big Pigs lurking off shore!

Stockton Lake is not a lake I have had an opportunity to fish all that often.  I think this trip may have been the second time I have ever fished this lake.  It is not really close to anywhere (It is north of Springfield, MO kind of between Springfield and Joplin.

The outside temp has been really high.  I put the kayak in around 3:30 or so.....It was 100 degrees when we put in at the Mutton Creek Access point.  My strategie starting off was to bring (2) spinning rods and (2) bait cast rods.  The (2) spinners had a wiggle wart and rebel popper, and the (2) bait cast had a white spinner and a texas rigged Zoom trick worm.

I caught the largest fish on this day off the main channel, in the rocks, about 8' from shore in about 10' of water.  I let the spinner sink all the way to the bottom and had a slow, inconsistant retrive.  It hit the spinner hard!  He was a nice, nice piggie bass!  After I released him, I got out of the kayak and took a quick swim (it was so hot outside).

The cove on the way back had some bass as well.  I caught a smaller one on the Wiggle Wart crank bait.  This has been a very productive lure this year for me in these Ozark reservoirs, big time.
Stockton Lake is a very interesting lake to me.  It is know as one of the top sailboat lakes, and it lived up to its reputation.  Everytime I have been here it is windy and choppy.  The bottom of the lake reminds me of Table Rock Lake...just not quite as clear.

Fish ON!

Mike

Stockton Lake, Kayak Fishing Mutton Creek Area


EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking near Springfield, Missouri

No comments: