Monday, May 3, 2010

Spring River, Oklahoma, May 3rd, 2010: White Bass and hybrids on Brown Rooster Tails















I got a chance to fish Oklahoma for the first time in my life today....what a kick! I was working in Neosho, MO. during the afternoon and had a couple of hours to get the "Bossy Flossy" out on the water. I originally went to the state park by where Grand Lake starts, but after taking a look at a map, decided to head north of the lake to the Spring River (which empties into Grand Lake).
This is the perfect river for me....it has somewhat of a sporty current, but not too much to overwhelm. Launched off around 3:30 p.m and started to paddle up stream. Got a quick bite on a roadrunner w/ a small white grub, but was not able to land it. This river has a TON of small shad running about all over.
Stopped at some wood structure and started to cast on the west bank as I was letting the current take the kayak down river. Got up on some white bass...what a kick!! They fight like trout! I forgot how much fun they were to catch. Caught 7 or so (released all of them). The biggest one was about 13", but you would not know it with the fight they provided...had a sensitive rod w/ 6# test, so that added even more to the excitement!
Left around 6:00 p.m. or so.....will be back!
Fish ON!
MLT


















No comments: