Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Nigangua River, Laclede County, MO, September 1st: In search of Browns-Found Chubs!







I wanted to do something a little different, so I decided to fish some of the "White Ribbon" trout area located on the Niangua River (about 1/2 mile downstream from where Bennett Spring empties into it) for a couple of hours.
As you know, I am always trying to spot out areas to take my fishing Kayak, so I thought I would fish it with the fly rod and see what I could stir up. I was having a conversation with a local a couple of weeks ago. He said that the MO Dept of Conservation stocks this part of the river with Brown Trout. Seems like great habitat for Brownies and for Smallies. Waded in downstream from the boat launch....lots of structure and current and shade...great combo! The problem was the pool is too deep to get close. Did the best job I could to get near it. Caught several small chubs on a green crackleback w/ a real small piece of split shot attached. Cast out some wooley buggers as well with no success. Started with a nymph and yarn strike indicator, but did not have any success with that either.
I think next time I come back to this spot, I will go for smallmouths and bring my Kayak!
Fish ON!
MLT



No comments: