Sunday, April 22, 2012

Des Arc Lake, Des Arc CA, Prairie County, Arkansas, April 10th, 2012: Bass in the spawn!



The is an outstanding lake in the central/eastern part of northern Arkansas to kayak fish, and especially kayak fish for bass.  I got out to the lake around 3:00 p.m. after work and headed out.  This was the first time fishing this lake, so I spoke with a couple of anglers out there before I set off.  Des Arc is also known for really nice sized crappie, and that is what the person I spoke with was fishing for.
I really though in setting out after a few hours of throwing just about everything and not getting one tap I was going to get skunked.  There was an older gentleman who had a little jon boat with a trolling motor catching a few nice bass by accident on his crappie rig.  I noticed that he was using some bright chartreuse colors so I switch the spinners to that.

Here is what happened that caused me to catch the bass for this day.  I had a texas rigged Zoom watermelon/red trick worm (6").  It got snagged and I lost the rig so I had to re-tie it.  The second time around I switched the bullet weight to a smaller size.....within (2) cast BOOM!  It must have had something to do with the way the bait was presenting itself to the bass.  Caught 4-5 before we needed to get back to the boat launch.

Lesson learned:  If you are not having a lot of success, instead of always switching the bait out, consider switching the weight and/or presentation.

Fish ON!

Mike

Kayak fishing Des Arc Lake, Arkansas


EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Arkansas

No comments: