Sunday, May 26, 2013

McCubbins Point, Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri May 21st, 2013: Lesson learned...ALWAYS re-tie your lures!

 The weather the last couple of weeks has been a bit challenging (at least speaking for me coming from a kayak).  I had an opportunity to hit the McCubbins Point area (just south of Lake of the Ozarks SP).  I like this area due to the fact that there are not as many pleasure boaters on the water.  If you go back in further, there are some nice gravel access points that are perfect for someone with a canoe or kayak.
I used the boat ramp and headed out for a few hours of fishing.  It started off cool, windy and grey, and then the clouds moved out and we experienced sunny skies.  The only challenge was that the wind really started to kick in.  I fished the first cove (to get out of the wind), but realized the the fish were probably up on the rocks in the whitecaps.  Great for fishing ...challenging for kayaking.  I went around the point (you can see it in the photo, towards port side).  I took the kayak through the white caps into the next cove and fished the other side- same story-not a taker.  So I headed back and drift kayaked back up on the point.  The lesson learned in this trip was a quick fact that I got lazy and forgot.  ALWAYS RE-TIE YOUR CRANKBAITS AFTER A SNAG UP!  I was fishing a crank bait (Wiggle Wart- my go to!) and got snagged real bad in the second cove.  I thought I might lose the lure, but managed to get it out.  If I would have felt the line, I would have realized it was time to re-tie the lure. 
Going back to the "one that got away" story- As I was drift fishing with the wind to my back, and got up on a very nice Largemouth in the rocks.  Got him almost to the boat, and then "snap" I watched him take off with my Wiggle Wart in his mouth....wow!  Lesson learned....

Fish ON!

Mike


Kayak fishing McCubbins Point at Lake of the Ozarks


EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Missouri

No comments: