Thursday, July 5, 2007

Lake Sherwood, Warren County, MO, July 4th








Before we start, quick report on Lake 35, Busch CA. This is a dying lake. I fished it in the spring, and the lake levels were at normal pool- it is lower again and has hydrilla growing all over it (even in the deep section- saw it on the fish finder). Seems that lake still has problems. Went out around 4:00 pm. and came back around 8:00. One small tap and that was it.



Let's talk about Sherwood. Rob and I got his pontoon boat out and hit the lake around 7:30 a.m. Something to keep in mind- we are in a summer pattern. My thought are that you need to fish the soft plastics much slower. We got several "taps" but no fish (I had 2 that were either small fish, or bad hook sets on my part). This pattern continued until 11:00 a.m. or so. Then they turned on (how weird is that).



Rob caught the first couple and it looked like I was going to get skunked (no problem- it has happened before!). I then caught the real nice bass- such a light hit, he was laying on the bottom with the plastic in his mouth- when I pulled up, I felt the weight and set the hook.



We were really tearing them up on Senko worms, in particular, Wave Worms, Sweet Potato Pie Color (yellow,black, red, etc) using a spinning rod with 10# test and a very small bullet weight (so it almost went down "weightless").



Later that day, we took the kids out and they caught a good amount of panfish on slip bobbers and worms. Good day of fishing






Fish On!






MLT

No comments: