Sunday, March 14, 2010

Montauk SP, Current River, March 10th, 2010: Weather held out-not bad!









The weather looked to be bad up in the St. Louis area, so I decided to head south for one of my favorite places to stream fish in Missouri- Montauk SP and the Current River. It was overcast all day with some moments of drizzle....it stayed cool- around 40 degrees all day. I am glad I was able to dress warm. I just got a TFO Lefty Kreh rod at Feathercraft Fly shop (off Manchester by the Innerbelt/40- very knowledgeable) and I really was wanting to use it it bad....I have been having some casting challenges, especially in casting Wooley Buggers and heavier jigs, so I wanted to help fix that this year. The rod, along with some study of what I have been doing (too much wrist) really helped.




I got to the park around 8:00 a.m. and went to the fly only waters first. Hit a nice hole right by a big rock and caught a couple of trout right off the bat with Brown bead-head Wooley Buggers. Was not able to hook enough to land. I think I figured out what the challenge was- I had my rod in my sleeve to keep me from using my wrist when I cast....unfortunately, I think you really need your wrist to set the hook....hmm, real dilemma. They hit them real hard, however.




Got some lunch and came back, but there were 4-5 people "asses and elbows" on the hole, so I decided to go down river. That is the only thing I do not like about the trout parks. If you find a spot, you really need to hog it to keep it.




Went past the park and fished the Current River right around Tan Vat Access point....that is where I got the "moment of Zen" video. Did not catch anything in this area, but I belive there are fish...I just was not able to get on them.




Cannot wait to go back!




Fish ON!




MLT

No comments: