Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Illinois River, Benton County, Arkansas, June 4th, 2011: Competed in Riverbassin. paddle fishing tournament for first time

Illinois River Arkansas- Kayaking and fishing


Share your Adventures with SpotAdventures

I got a chance to compete in first every kayak fishing tournament for the riverbassin' tournament trail , which made a stop in Fayetteville, Arkansas.  I really did not due too well on this tournament this time.  I originally had kayaked the day before on the White River just south of Beaver Lake, but at the last minute I changed my strategy and fished the Illinois River, a much swifter, colder river than the White River at that point.  I am not really sure if that affected the outcome or not....I do have to say that the river as absolutly beautiful, as the video below will show.  I got some great shots and really challenged myself as a kayaker and sometimes that is just as important as getting on fish....except when you are fishing a tournament!

I did catch one smallmouth that measured out at 9", but I did not catch the fish until almost 2:00 p.m.  Very unfortunate considering I struck out at 6:00 a.m..
I think the biggest mistake I made was not bringing some full sized spinner baits with grubs as trailers.  I have caught some huge smallmouths in the past with that lure, and for some reason or another, I did not included in my tackle box.  My concept was throw hula grubs on stand-up gigs (Chompers plastics)...no go on this run.

Here is what is cool about fishing the rivers and lakes from a kayak- you always are learning new things.  A few days later I tore it up based on some of the lessons I learned on this outing. Life is good :)  Watch the video below- I think you will dig it!

Flow (cfs): 1100
Guage Height: 6.5'

Fish ON!

Mike

No comments: