Friday, August 28, 2009

whetstone Creek CA, Callaway County, MO. Aug. 23rd, 2009: Bass a little slow but some success



Got the kayak loaded on the car the night before and headed out to Whetstone Creek CA early in the morning....got out on the lake by about 9:00 a.m. There was one person on a boat w/ a trolling motor fishing, but they left a little after I put in. After that had most of the lake to myself for the rest of the day.
Was using some of the watermelon Gulp Alive! baits...these work pretty good sometimes compared to traditional plastic worms. Used them texas rigged on baitcaster rods. Tried some other things (spinner rod w/ minnows on shiner rig, hula grup on stand up jig, etc) but this seemed to be the only thing that worked fairly well for the day. Bite seemed on early, then it slowed down a little. Expected a late bite around 4:00 p.m. or so like last time, but it just never turned on so I headed back.
One item of note: There are some HUGE grass carps in this lake. I was on the south side and I casted out in some hydrilla...it spooked about 5-6 of them and it was like a shark attack! The commotion caught me off guard so bad I almost jumped out of the kayak!
Fish ON!
MLT

No comments: