Saturday, April 3, 2010

Meremec Spring Park, Phelps County, March 30th, 2010: Water is high and fishing was challenging


The warm weather may finally start to be upon us....got an opportunity to fish Meremac Spring on my way back from Springfield for a couple of hours. Arrived around 3 p.m. and fished until about 6:00 p.m or so. Used just my fly rod on this trip. This park can be a challenge on a fly rod, at least in my opinion, due to the fact that there are no zones. So you can be throwing flies and the next guy 10' from you is throwing Power Bait. I think that can throw it off for fly fishing sometimes. Let it be said, I have nothing against Power Bait....matter of fact, I have an entire kit dedicated to bait and artificial fishing. I may come back later and do some bait fishing, matter of fact....this would be a good park to do so.
Used several jigs in different colors, as well as both an orange and red San Juan Worm, which I thought would tear them up. This park is famous for drift fishing plastic worms w/ small bobber, wacky rigged....maybe next time?
Fish ON!
MLT

No comments: